WATCH: Abducted Chibok Girls Pledge Alliance To Boko Haram In Sickening Video
(AFP)- Boko Haram late on Friday released a video claiming to show the Chibok schoolgirls who refused to be rescued as part of a recent swap deal with the Nigerian government.
In the three-minute video, a woman who claims to be Maida Yakubu, one of the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in April 2014, is seen wearing a black veil and holding a gun.
Flanked by three other women clad in black, she proclaims her loyalty to Boko Haram, a jihadist group that has killed over 20,000 people since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009.
When asked by a man in the background why she doesn’t want to go back home to her parents, she replies: “the reason is that they live in the town of unbelief. We want them to accept Islam.”
The following dialogue ensued between the male voice and Maida:
What is your name?
Veiled girl with AK 47: My name is Maida Yakubu
Which town are you from?
What are the names of your parents?
My mother’s name is Esther Muntari; my father’s name is Yakubu Kaba.
Which school were you attending?
Why don’t you want to return to your parents?
I don’t want to return because they are living in the city of infidels, we want them to come and follow this religion for us to have rest in heaven.
Some people are saying that you are being forced into marriage is this so?
No. It is not so. Among us are those who agree and accept get married.
What is your message to your parents?
My message to them is for them to repent and follow Allah’s religion for our salvation.
What is your appeal to Nigerians?
My call to Nigerians is that they should leave the book that is not that of Allah and follow the Sunnah (Sayings and deeds of the Prophet) Allah’s religion will move forward whether you like it or not.
If you don’t agree you will die in your misery.
She switched to the local Chibok language for the last few seconds of the video.
Mother identifies daughter in B’Haram video
Meanwhile, Mrs. Esther Yakubu, the mother of Maida has told members of the Bring Back Our Girls advocacy group that it was indeed her daughter who spoke in the recently released video.
The Co-convener of the BBOG, Aisha Yesufu, confirmed this to members of the group during a meeting with other members of the BBOG in Abuja on Saturday.
Yesufu and some members of the group paid a visit to Maida’s parents and urged them not to give up hope.
She said it was ironic that Maida, who urged the Federal Government to rescue them in a proof-of-life video last year could be saying the opposite today.
Yesufu said, “The girl told us how much they had suffered and that they wanted to come back home; and this time, she is saying she does not want to come back home and she wants her parents to join her. We felt it was necessary to pay a visit of encouragement to the parents and we are just coming from Esther Yakubu’s house.
“It is not easy but she is quite strong. For the family, it is really sad and it is not the kind of thing you wish for your enemy but they are strong. She did say that the voice was her daughter’s voice even though she could only see her eyes because the girls were wearing niqab and their eyes were swollen as if they had cried.
“So, we stand with them and we will not stop this fight.
“We also encourage her not to give up because her daughter will need her when she gets out and by the grace of God, her daughter will come out.”
Speaking with our correspondent during a telephone interview, the Chairman, Chibok Community in Abuja, Mr. Hosea Tsambido, said the video was cheap propaganda, adding that the girl spoke under duress.
Tsambido said the Chibok leaders were expecting such a video to be released soon because of the statement made by a negotiator, Zannah Mustapha, in which he said the number of girls rescued last week should have been more than 82 but some refused to return because they preferred to stay with the terrorists.
The Chibok leader said he had spoken with the Yakubu family and they were not buying the narrative.
However, Maida’s mother refused to confirm anything to our correspondent when contacted on the telephone.
“Please I don’t know anything,” she said.
Check out the video:
Presidency spokesman Garba Shehu later disclosed that one girl had refused to leave.
She declined to be part of the release deal because she had married a Boko Haram fighter, Shehu said.
Analysts said it was likely others may have developed sympathies for their captors over time.
The Islamist militants seized 276 girls in April 2014, triggering global condemnation and drawing attention to the bloody insurgency.
Fifty-seven escaped in the immediate aftermath. Of the 219 who did not manage to flee, 106 have either been released or found, leaving 113 still missing.
Boko Haram released a second video on Friday claiming to show five commanders that the Nigerian government freed in exchange for the 82 Chibok girls.
In the video, a man who identifies himself as Abu Dardaa, or Money, says Boko Haram is back in Sambisa Forest and is preparing to bomb Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja.
The threat comes as Nigeria opened another round of talks for the release of more kidnapped schoolgirls.
The Nigerian military said in December that it had ousted Boko Haram from their Sambisa Forest stronghold in northeastern Borno state.
While the jihadists have lost significant swathes of territory since Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari came into power in 2015, they are still capable of launching deadly attacks on soldiers and continue to unleash suicide bombers in cities and camps for internally displaced people in Nigeria’s ravaged northeast.
Copyright 2017 BIGGLAWW.Com