11-Year-Old JSS3 Pupil Electrocuted In Bayelsa
An 11-year-old Junior Secondary School pupil of an unnamed school in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, has been electrocuted.
The boy, identified only as Kingsley, reportedly died on Thursday after coming into contacts with fallen electric cables at Biogbolo community in the Yenagoa metropolis.
The power line cables were said to have been severed from a pole in the area after a downpour last week.
According to residents of the area, the authorities did not pay any heed to the danger, though residents had allegedly registered their complaints with the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company.
A source, identified simply as Jessica, a resident of the community, claimed that Kingsley died immediately after coming into contacts with the cables.
She said the boy (Kingsley) was allegedly tricked by his friends to pick up the cable from the ground.
Jessica said, ”The victim is a JSS 3 pupil. He was electrocuted in company with his friends. ‘The boy was tricked by his peers to pick up the power line cable that fell down from a pole in the area.”
It was learnt that some sympathisers reported the matter to the Ekeki Police Division.
When contacted on the development, spokesman for the Bayelsa State Police Command, Mr. Asinim Butswat, a deputy superintendent of police, said he had not been briefed on the incident.
He, however, described it as ”pathetic and unfortunate.”